Killington 101 :: World Cup Weekend 2016
Posted by The Beast on November 17, 2016
As the Audi FIS Ski World Cup Tour descends on Vermont for the first time in nearly 40 years, it’s finally time to give thanks, Killington style.
The Beast of the East has been carrying skiers and snowboarders uphill for snowy turns since October 25, and will continue to serve the skiing and riding public during this historic Thanksgiving Weekend with slightly modified mountain operations for the convenience of all guests.
Read on for the inside scoop on Thanksgiving Weekend, and check the Conditions Report for real-time updates on terrain and lift expansion.
MORE COWBELL :: FUN FACTS
- The last alpine World Cup skiing event held in New England was at Waterville Valley, New Hampshire in 1991. US skier Julie Parisien won the Giant Slalom at that event. It was last held in Vermont in 1978 at Stratton.
- Ninety athletes representing 20 countries are expected to participate in the slalom and giant slalom events on Killington’s Superstar trail.
- Killington’s World Cup races will be broadcast to an audience of 2.1 million people in 60 countries, including live coverage in European primetime and an American audience watching racers’ second runs on NBC at 3:00 p.m. ET both Saturday and Sunday.
Both World Cup races take place on the Superstar trail, finishing on the doorstep of the Roaring Brook in the heart of the festival village. As racers cross the finish line, they will meet a raucous Killington crowd surrounding the finish area and extending throughout the K-1 Base Area.
The festival village is accessible to all guests, offering excellent views of the lower race course from the foot of Superstar with a jumbo TV wall showing the action from the upper trail. The free viewing area is adjacent to the ticketed GrandStands and VIP area.
Please note all guests are required to go through a security checkpoint in front of K-1 Base Lodge to enter the festival village, K-1 Lodge and spectator areas.
This is an outdoor event – wear warm clothing and sturdy footwear. Surface conditions in the base area will be variable, including everything from snow to mud.
For information on festival village hours, race start times and a complete listing of entertainment options including athlete autograph signings, check out the official schedule of events and venue map.
GrandStands and VIP Tent
These are ticketed facilities and are sold out. The GrandStands will open at 7:00 a.m. and the VIP Tent will open at 8:00 a.m. Remember, a ticket is required for everyone accessing these areas, including small children.
Free O.A.R. Concert
The O.A.R. Concert will begin after the second runs of the Giant Slalom race on Saturday afternoon conclude. The show is expected to begin around 2:00 p.m. Saturday. Guests arriving midday for the concert will likely be required to park in Pico or Skyeship lots along Route 4 as all other lots will likely be full; please plan accordingly.
Athlete Autograph Signings
Check the schedule of events for details on athlete signing opportunities. Plan to arrive early and potentially be turned away, participating athletes are available for limited windows of time and long lines are expected.
For the enjoyment of all guests, the following items are prohibited in the World Cup festival village:
- Chairs. All spectating areas provide standing room only. ADA accessible viewing options are available, just ask a Mountain Ambassador for assistance.
- Alcoholic beverages. A variety of food and beverage options including alcohol will be available for purchase within designated areas of the festival village.
- Glass containers. Please bring drinking water in only plastic or metal containers.
- Weapons. All weapons are prohibited.
- Laser Pointers. Use of laser pointers could interfere with the race and scheduled entertainment and endanger others. Use will result in expulsion from the event.
- Pets. We love pets and Killington is a pet-friendly resort, but given the scale of this event we ask you to leave them at home this weekend. Woof!
- Illegal Drugs. Use of illegal drugs on Killington Resort property is strictly prohibited.
- Drones. Use of drones on Killington Resort property is strictly prohibited without approval from management.
Please be aware that Killington Resort allows smoking in designated areas only. During World Cup Weekend, two designated smoking areas near K-1 Base Lodge will be provided; one in the parking lot and another within the festival village, located across from the GrandStand closest to K-1 Base Lodge. Signage will direct you to the appropriate smoking locations.
BASE LODGE SERVICES
Two open base lodges, K-1 and Snowshed, will offer all available services. Other base areas will serve as park and ride locations with limited or no services, except for Ramshead Base Lodge which houses the Day Care program.
K-1 Base Area & World Cup Venue
K-1 Base Lodge offers lift tickets, rentals, Guest Services, Killington Sports retail shop, plus food and beverage services daily. The K-1 Base Area also provides access to the Peak Lodge via the K-1 Express Gondola, along with access to additional outdoor dining venues within the World Cup festival village.
Mahogany Ridge Bar will be closed to the general public and the K-1 Base Lodge is expected to be very crowded, so plan accordingly. Please note anyone accessing the K-1 Base Lodge (including its ticket sale windows) will be required to go through the security checkpoint.
Take advantage of dining options at K-1 or the Peak Lodge early (before 11:30 a.m.) or late (after 1:30 p.m.) or at Snowshed Lodge anytime for the best experience.
Snowshed Base Area
Free parking is available at Snowshed and Ramshead lots on a first-come, first-served basis. These parking lots are connected via tunnel under the Killington Access Road, with all services available in the Snowshed Base Lodge.
The skiing and snowboarding public is encouraged to begin the day at Snowshed, purchasing or picking up lift tickets from the Snowshed Sales Center and booting up prior to boarding a bus to K-1 Base Area.
The Snowshed Rental Shop offers a seemingly endless supply of equipment with plentiful space to get ready for the day, plus demo equipment at Potter Brothers. If renting equipment, this will be a more enjoyable experience than the K-1 Rental Shop, which is expected to be very crowded.
PARK AND RIDE
FREE parking is available for all Killington guests during World Cup Weekend, but the K-1 parking lot bays are reserved exclusively for vehicles with pre-purchased World Cup parking permits. NO OVERNIGHT PARKING IS AVAILABLE ON RESORT PROPERTY AND VIOLATORS WILL BE TOWED.
Guests without a parking permit wishing to spectate, or to ski or snowboard, can take advantage of free parking available in satellite lots serviced by free shuttle service to the K-1 and Snowshed Base Areas on both Saturday and Sunday.
Please note passenger and equipment drop-offs in personal vehicles will not be permitted at K-1 Base Lodge.
FREE PARKING AREAS WITH SHUTTLE SERVICES
Upper Access Road (Roadside Parking)
- Location: One mile stretch of Killington Road between Snowshed Lodge and K-1 Base Area. Space is extremely limited and these spots will fill up first.
- Services: None
- Shuttles: All shuttles pass these parking spots, wave for service – 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. – approx. every 10 minutes
Vale Road Parking Lots
- Location: Between K-1 Base Area and Ramshead Lodge on Vale Road
- Services: None
- Shuttles: Vale Lot Shuttles – 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. – approx. every 10 minutes
- Location: 3861 Killington Road, Killington, VT 05751
- Services: Restrooms, lift tickets, rental equipment, retail shop, food & beverage, Snow Sports School (conditions permitting)
- Shuttles: K-1 & World Cup Venue/Snowshed Shuttle – 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. – approx. every 15 minutes
- Location: 3880 Killington Road, Killington, VT 05751
- Services: Daycare only. Use walking tunnel to Snowshed for other services
- Shuttles: Use walking tunnel to Snowshed for K-1 & World Cup Venue/Snowshed Shuttle – 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. – approx. every 15 minutes
Skyeship Gondola Park and Ride (Route 4)
- Location: 7428 Route 4, Killington, VT 05751
- Services: Portable toilets only; the lodge is closed
- Shuttles: Skyeship Shuttle – 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. – approx. every 20 minutes
Pico Mountain Park and Ride (Route 4)
- Location: 73 Alpine Drive, Mendon, VT 05701
- Available Services: Restrooms only; Pico Mountain is closed
- Shuttle Service: Pico Shuttle – 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m. – approx. every 20 minutes
While shuttle routes are clearly defined, shuttle service hours are estimates and may vary based on weather conditions and traffic volume – please plan accordingly. Guests staying in a property on Killington Road are encouraged to use the free Access Road Shuttle and those staying in a condominium on East Mountain Road will have their own shuttle service available. Guests driving to Killington for the event are encouraged to park and shuttle from Skyeship or Pico Mountain parking lots along Route 4.
Diamond Express Bus
- Servicing Rutland/Route 4 West/Killington Road/K-1 Lodge & World Cup Venue/Snowshed Lodge/Grand Resort Hotel
- Service approx. every half-hour 5:15 a.m. - 11:45 p.m.
K-1 & World Cup Venue/Snowshed Shuttle
- Servicing Snowshed Lodge/K-1 Lodge & World Cup Venue
- Service approx. every 15 minutes 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Vale Lot Shuttle
- Servicing K-1 Lodge & World Cup Venue/Vale Road Parking Lots
- Service approx. every 10 minutes 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Killington Access Road Shuttle
- Servicing Killington Road between the intersection of Killington & West Hill Roads/K-1 Lodge & World Cup Venue
- Service approx. every 15 minutes 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Wave driver for service
- Servicing Skyeship Park and Ride/K-1 Lodge & World Cup Venue/Snowshed Lodge
- Service approximately every 20 minutes 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Servicing Pico Park & Ride/Killington Road/K-1 Lodge & World Cup Venue/Snowshed Lodge
- Service approximately every 20 minutes 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
East Mountain Road Condo Shuttle
- Servicing Highridge/Whiffletree/FallLine/Edgemont/Trail Creek/Mountain Green/ Pinnacle/K-1 Lodge & World Cup Venue/Snowshed Lodge
- Service approximately every 15 minutes 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
SKIING AND SNOWBOARDING
Killington opened for skiing and snowboarding on October 25, and while the amount and difficulty level of the available terrain is difficult to predict at this time, multiple trails and a terrain park will be open.
Killington’s terrain expansion plan calls for top-to-bottom skiing and riding available off Killington Peak and Snowdon Mountain for intermediate and advanced ability levels only, plus beginner terrain suited for first time skiers and riders serviced by the Learn-to Carpet at Snowshed and high-level beginner terrain available on Ramshead serviced by the Ramshead Express Quad.
Keep in mind, Mother Nature has final say no matter how badly the snowmakers want to work – so stay tuned to killington.com/conditions for the latest information on skiing and snowboarding terrain and conditions.
Group and private lessons for first timer, blue square and black diamond ability levels are available from Snowshed Lodge, and Day Care is available at Ramshead Lodge. Note, we do not have lessons available for green circle ability levels. If you’re planning to learn to ski or snowboard with us, we will only have lessons and terrain suitable for your first day over the Thanksgiving weekend – you’ll need to come back to continue mastering your skills.
- Friendly Penguin Child Care Center, ground level of Ramshead Lodge.
- Youth lessons (ages 4-18), register and meet at Snowshed Lodge.
- Adult lessons (ages 19+), register and meet at Snowshed Lodge.
- Private lessons (all ages), register and meet at Snowshed Lodge.
For more information, please call 800-923-9444 or visit Snowshed Base Lodge.
Follow the World Cup action at Killington on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat and YouTube.