How to cook the perfect steak
Posted by Killington Resort on November 9, 2012
Corey Logsdon, executive chef of the Wobbly Barn, shares tips to cook the perfect steak.
- Pick the cut of meat you want to eat, and keep in mind, “you get what you pay for”. So the higher the quality of meat, the better the steak will taste.
- Allow the steak to become room temperature prior to cooking.
- Make sure your grill is hot.
- Place steak on your grill and begin cooking. It’s important to be patient and let the steak cook as opposed to pushing it into the grill.
- Flip the steak, don’t turn. This allows a more even cooking of the meat.
- Check the temperature of your steak with a household meat thermometer
Wobbly Barn Steak Temperature Guide:
Blue 85°-95°, red throughout, cold center
Rare 95°-105°, red throughout, cool center
Medium Rare 105°-115°, red throughout, slightly cool center
Medium 115°-125°, pink throughout, slight red and warm center
Medium Well 125°-140°, slightly pink center, warm throughout
Well 140°+, cooked through, no color, hot center
Before serving, allow your steak to rest for a few minutes. Once removed from the grill, the meat continues to cook and the temperature will climb an additional five degrees or so. Letting the steak rest allows the juices to settle. Pair with sides and drink of your choice and enjoy.
If you would rather have Corey grill a steak for you, we have you covered. Stop by the Wobbly Barn and save 50% on all entrées including steaks Nov. 9-10 and Nov. 16-17. The Wobbly Barn will open its doors for the 49th season on November 9 with new additions to their outstanding menu and 50% off all entrées. Enjoy a divine cut of prime rib or indulge in The Beast’s Choice, a 28 oz. Porterhouse paired with a three pound whole North Atlantic lobster. Doors open at 4:30 p.m.