Snow Plan update from Killington’s Director of Mountain Operations
Posted November 8, 2012
Despite the volatile fall weather, including Sandy and Athena, the Killington snowmaking plant is performing exceptionally well as we expand on to more and more acres on the upper mountain as well as making snow on our top to bottom skiing connector trails.
The strategy thus far has been to focus on depth and quality on numerous runs in the upper mountain North Ridge pod to insure a great product for not only the next few days, but to carry us through the historically warm pre-Thanksgiving period weeks; warm temps mean great skiing conditions, but not so great for snowmaking production.
As of today, we have exceeded our goals with significant coverage now on Great Northern, Rime, Reason, Upper East Fall, Upper Double Dipper and Downdraft, which are all accessible with a quick ride up the K-1 Express Gondola. Our success so far is due to the fact that the “wet bulb” temperatures, have been very favorable for good snowmaking production. After skiing the North Ridge area, a 6-7 minute walk up the “pre-season trainer” Peak Walkway brings you back to the K-1 Express Gondola and a comfortable ride back down. If you biked and ran all summer the walk takes less than 5 minutes…
Now with depth and quality goals met and solid conditions in place on the upper mountain for weeks to come, I have moved our focus to mid-mountain expansion and our top to bottom connector. Remembering that if we had focused only on a top to bottom run this early in the season we would have very limited terrain open and it just wouldn’t be that fun…
Currently, we are taking advantage of some colder base temps to work on our top to bottom ski connection from the North Ridge area down to the K-1 Lodge on the Great Northern trail, Mousetrap and Middle Chute trail sections. Base area temperatures will be very marginal today, at lower elevations, but we will continue production with a forecasted drop in temperatures tonight with a plan to be top to bottom as soon as possible. Snowmaking will also begin today on the Upper Bunny trail and Killink and top of Snowdon lift connectors.
Going forward, I am working closely with our weather service to look for the next snowmaking weather window. As of now it looks to be after a drop on Tuesday at which time we’ll get our snowmaking plant back on line to work on trail expansion.
Additionally starting Thursday evening, our Park Crew will begin building the early season park on Reason with five (and possibly more) features for Friday.
Be sure to check out the Conditions Report for the latest updates on trails, lifts and ticket rates.